Sunday, September 06, 2009

Making Slag and Planning for the Future

Today was a good day. I did some MIG welding, first time, and have the "sunburn" to show for it. I knew that the ultraviolet light could cause a burn but didn't know it would happen quite so fast - after only about 60 minutes of welding. Being the first time this was really just to get a feel for the process and the tools. It was a good time and, other than the burn, I'm looking forward to doing some welding for the 1974 Porsche 911 project. I came across some great resources for first time welders and recommend TheFabricator.com and articles by Marty Rice.


Looking at some images of '74 Porsches I came across a great looking Gulf RSR with an interesting tail light and reflector treatment. I'm going to consider this approach for my 911 as the tail light assemblies are showing their age and the reflector is in poor condition. I think with some effort and a trip to the scrap yard I can find some round tail lights that will recess into panels that replace the stock units.
All you first time welders remember, long sleeves and gloves.

No comments: