Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The project begins

At first the work on the Porsche was haphazard. Battery replaced and engine running it was time for some new tires and an alignment. I went budget on the tires knowing that it would be long time before the car needed performance treads. Chuck from Chuck’s Tires hooked me up with both tires and the alignment. My next thought was to address likely safety issues and get the car on the road. Try to make it reliable and unlikely to drive off the road or into another car. I ordered brake rebuild kits, tune up parts, various maintenance items, etc. With my father-in-law Warren’s help, I got as far as a pop-off valve, compression test, oil change, plugs and wires before I decided what the car really needed was a new coat of paint.

Really what pushed me into this decision was when my wife came home and said I needed to go “scrape the giant turd off the driveway.” It’s hard to blame her given the condition of the paint (70’s brown at its ‘finest’ with a mix of grey and black primers). I figured a shiny paint job would surely change the reaction to the car, and we all know how important first impressions are.

Here’s where the real project begins.

No comments: