Sunday, February 26, 2006

Yesterday, the 25th, I eased myself into the project as I was working off a wicked head cold. It took a while but I finally broke down and pulled the oil tank. It was in the way of getting the final fitting of the rear bumper completed. Pulling the tank wasn't too bad a job but dealing with the 30 years of caked on crud (oil and road dirt) was a pain. It's a good opportunity to clean up the tank and make sure it is properly sealed.

With the tank off fitting the bumper got a lot easier. When dealing with so many places to fit the fiberglass to the car it really pays to be cautious. I spent a fair amount of time deciding where to begin. The rear section, with the bumper and flares is far more complex then the front. I finally decided to line up the rear bumper where the tail light housing matches, get the sides and back as aligned as possible and get some set screws in place. I did this without the flares which will take a fair amount of fitting to get right. The bumper did line up well and is square overall. I did notice a discrepancy in the shape of the bumper between the left and right sides with the right being about a 1/4 inch wider as it blends into the flare. This does not appear to be a serious problem and it should be unnoticeable to anyone looking at the car.

No comments: