Friday, August 31, 2007

A Great Porsche Project Handbook

Insanity is believing you Will run out of projects ...

When I first took on the 1974 Porsche 911 I thought I’d do some general maintenance and maybe even some performance modifications before taking on the larger challenge of paint, body, and interior work. Being new to the Porsche 911 model I wasn’t sure where to start, looking in the catalogs and the online forums I found many cool ideas. It quickly became apparent that the cost of those ideas was going to add up so my next bright idea was to look for recommendations from a trusted source.

Wayne Dempsey is one of the founders of Pelican Parts, an online Porsche parts dealer that has established a strong following in the Porsche community. Not only do Pelican Parts sell items for Porsches they have a good library of technical articles and a very active user forum.

So back to ideas of the 1974 Porsche 911, I came across the book 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911, written by Wayne Dempsey and knew that thought it would be a worthwhile investment. This is one aspect of the project that has turned out as planned. The book is very complete in offering both maintenance topics and performance enhancement topics. Guidelines for technical skill, time required, tools, and parts are provided making it very manageable to plan for and execute on one of the projects. Best of all, the book is not a platform for selling more parts, I’ve actually found myself not buying parts based on recommendations in 101 Projects for Your Porsche. I highly recommend this to anyone who works on their Porsche or who is looking for great ideas to take to their shop of choice.

No comments: