Saturday, August 25, 2007

Homer's Odyssey and the Porsche 911

This has nothing to do with Homer but it does have to do with an Odyssey and a 1974 Porsche 911; this is where you find out what derailed this project that previously seemed to be moving forward at a reasonable pace. In about July of 2006 I decided to surprise my wife Kat with a new Honda Odyssey. She had minivan envy as several of her friends had new new rides and I had a decent sized bonus check from my previous employer. Kat not only wanted a new van she needed one, her 2000 Honda Odyssey had about 125,000 miles on the odometer and the new vans with the electric side doors and side-impact airbags seemed like a much safer way to transport our three little ones. I fished around for color ideas, got the finances in order, and headed off to the local dealership to buy a new Honda Odyssey. Kat had no idea and that night when she came home from a school meeting the new Odyssey was in the driveway. The only problem was that the Odyssey was in the driveway and not in the garage because the 1974 Porsche 911, supported by four jack stands, was taking up its spot.
The following weekend it was time to gather up the scattered pieces of the 1974 Porsche 911, call the tow truck, and have the entire project relocated to the shop managed by my Father-in-Law, Warren (Ocean Paint and Body in Oceanside). I have to say I was somewhat relieved to have the Porsche 911 out of the garage and it removed some of the pressure to complete the project.
At this point the 1974 Porsche 911 was (and still is) nothing more than a rolling chassis with the engine and transaxle removed, the wiring harness pulled, no lights, interior, nothing. We pushed the Porsche to a far corner of the shop lot, covered it with the newly acquired car cover, and mission accomplished: the new Honda Odyssey fits nicely in the garage. The problem is that now instead of having a project just waiting for me to get home at night or dedicate my weekend to, I have to travel to work on the 1974 Porsche 911. This combined with not having my tools handy and there be many other things to spend my time on (kids, new job, motorcycles) meant that the project completely stalled.
And now you know.

No comments: